14 March 2006

9-Month WLS Anniversary

I can't believe it's been 9 months since surgery, but 9 months ago today I sat nervously waiting in the pre-op area wearing my WLS patient gown wondering what was in store for me. I expected changes but not this many. I could not be happier with my progress to date, and I will never regret the decision I made. The below pictures are from October 2005, January 2006 and today, respectively. I don't see a lot of change between January and today's pictures; although, I know it's there. Case in point? In January's pic, I'm wearing size 14 Vashon cut pants from Eddie Bauer. In today's pic, I'm wearing size 10! Vashon cut pants from Eddie Bauer! I bought these denim trousers a few weeks ago and couldn't even get them buttoned or zipped, but today they fit! (although a little tightly across the derriere).


My weight today is 158 lbs. I somehow gained 2 lbs during the week last week but managed to lose 3 lbs giving me a net loss of 1 pound, so my streak of having lost at least one pound every week since surgery is still intact! Yippie!


After seeing these pictures, I wasn't too thrilled with my butt, so I decided to try the gluteal course on the elliptical tonight. I've always done the weight loss course previously, and I've typically burned a little over 300 calories for 33 minutes. Well, I couldn't remember the exact time I did with the weight loss course, so when I selected the gluteal course and it defaulted to 45 minutes (without the 5 minute cool down), I decided to decrease it to 40 minutes b/c I knew I hadn't been doing 40 minutes. So, not only was the length longer, but the incline of the ramp ranged from 16 - 18! The maximum I previously did was only 10! And, while I'm not really feeling the effects on my butt just yet, I'm really feeling it in my calves, and I burned 402 calories! Woo-hoo! (Oh, and for those of you who may have noticed my right shoulder sitting up higher than my left, I'm not in pain or anything; I have scoliosis and my right shoulder sits higher than my left. But, good gosh! With my angular, bony shoulders, I really think I look like Frankenstein or something in the picture of my back! :P)


One of the biggest differences for me, though, is a mental one. I finally see myself as a "skinny" person ... most days. And, apparently, others are too. At the grocery store yesterday, there were a number of men very obviously checking me out. And, today, while walking across the courtyard between our buildings I noticed some of the construction workers watching me walk by them (I saw them in the reflection of the glass doors). What's odd is that it's been making me uncomfortable. I honestly don't know why; I mean, I'm flattered. But, I'm just not used to it at all, and I guess I'm still being self-conscious.

Only 23 pounds to go! I am amazed!

7 comments:

Jessica6903 said...

Great pics Jenn! Thanks for posting! When I worked with a personal trainer, she told me to try and use the "RANDOM" program on the elliptical every once and awhile so your body doesn't get used to any one program. Lunges are another great butt exercise! My husband wishes I HAD a butt. I might have to get a butt lift if/when I have my tummy tuck!

Sandi Hooper said...

Jenn, you look amazing--the bright, vibrant smile, the poise and grace. You've always been beautiful, but now you're radiant! I didn't notice the shoulder thing at all till I read about it.

I understand about the attention situation too. It makes me really nervous and a little frightened when the attention is too intense, but I have to confess, I appreciate how much more polite guys are now. Thanking me, opening doors etc. One guy stood there with the door open for about 2 minutes waiting for me to finally get there. I thought it must be for someone IN the store, but it wasn't! It was for me! *shaking my head* I appreciate it, but it kind of pisses me off too, you know? It's so unfair how society rewards and punishes people on something as arbitrary as weight.

Anyway, congratulations on the astonding and very inspiring success. You are my true S/hero!

Kim S. said...

Congrats on 9 successful months. You should be very proud of how far you've come!
Kim

Melissa said...

Wow Jenn you look absolutely gorgeous. You go girl and keep up the good work.

Holly said...

you look fabulous!

happy anniversary to us!

Kaye Bailey said...

You look stunning! I love how your smile seems to be bigger & brighter!!!

xoxox
Kaye

Jenn said...

Jenn,
Holy crap - you are a bonafide skinny person!! Seriously, you look totally healthy and normal; I'm not sure where the last 23 is coming from, but I know how these things go. You are positively gorgeous though - have you looked at yourself?! I'm so impressed! I set my goal at 155, and I look at you now and know that's where I'll end up and I can't wait!!! You're a huge inspiration! Keep up the good work!
~Jenn