31 March 2006

Evoking memories of California

Immediately upon arriving home today, I threw open 3 windows to let in fresh air. Then, an idea hit me. I should grill something for dinner! Luckily, I had 2 tenderloin steaks in my freezer. So, after thawing them in the microwave (typically a horrible idea, but I was grilling in beautiful weather and I didn't care!), I poured my favorite marinade over them and let them sit for an hour. I got the grill out of the garage (all by myself!) and fired it up! When those steaks hit the grill they sizzled frantically. It's such an awesome sound (when it's the first time grilling after a long, cold winter)! I also "made" Green Giant niblets corn w/ no sauce. Some sort of grilled meat and niblets corn was a big staple of our house when we lived in California, so with the combination of the weather, the open windows and the grilled steak and niblets, it felt like I was back in California. It's odd. I have such good memories of living in California, but I don't seem to from living here. Maybe it's that it's been over 3 years since I left California, so the memories are stronger because I'm out of the situation. I don't know. I just know it felt really good ... although something was missing.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Welcome home Jenn, looks like you had a fabulous time with hubby. Loved the pictures you posted especially the one of the orchids. I love orchids. You definitely needed some time away from home and I am so glad that you enjoyed yourself.

Anonymous said...

Okay,
I'm going tonight to pick up a new grill. We left our grill at home and living in this tiny townhouse with the tiny patio, well, we would have no room for the huge grill, so we are buying a small one. I'm also picking up some chicken and beef to grill. NO use having a gril if you don't have the meat, right?

Sandi Hooper said...

Wow, I'd fallen behind on your posts. It was a real treat to get "caught up" with you this morning! I've never spent much time in Philly, but it sounds like there's plenty to do there. Thanks for the intro...

And it's very very cool about the guys enjoying you in your teeny tee... I'm having a hard time keeping my mouth shut here, but I will. Just know that I'm thinking of you, hoping and hoping...

Jenn said...

Sandi - Ehhh, don't keep your mouth shut! Especially now that you have my interest totally piqued! Email me at plowhazard@gmail.com if you don't want to say it here. :)

Jenn

Kaye Bailey said...

Hi Jenn - - I too am a bit behind in blog reading but WOW!!! What timing. We grilled for the first time tonight since last fall. Fresh air, good food, good times! Life is good. I have been to Philly often on business - Ever eat at BookBinders?? LOL! :)

Take care, Doll! You look fabulous! Ahhhh hell - - You ARE fabulous!!!

xoxox
Kaye