18 March 2006

Physical Activity

I mentioned in a post last weekend how I'd gone to a state park with my husband and enjoyed the walk/hike to the falls and back. The following day at our 6th counseling session, he mentioned how he was pleasantly surprised by the ease with which I navigated the trail, but he was still afraid I haven't really changed regarding my desires for physical activity (despite mentioning while on that hike that I wanted to look into taking a kayaking class). He said that it's not that he doesn't think I am capable of a life filled with more physical activity but that his fears are most likely based on my sedentary history. I want to change that. As such, I've found a class that the university where I work offers in introductory sea kayaking. From the class website: "This introductory course is designed for enthusiastic beginners who wish to discover the magic of sea kayaking. Introductory evening lake sessions will cover equipment, safety, rescues, and basic strokes. This course culminates with a long weekend of touring. We'll cover equipment, navigation, strokes, considerations for overnight trips, camping and travel skills. Opportunities will be provided throughout the course to sample both single and tandem kayaks and gain boat skills and confidence." I've never done any "real" kayaking but enjoyed some time I spent in a basic kayak on a lake in Canada one summer, so I figured this class would be good to teach me some skills. But, I'm not entirely sure about it because it costs $264 and will take place in some very deep water. I don't understand why, but I have a fear of deep water. I did a lot of swimming as a child and have never had any kind of negative experience in deep water, but it scares the crap out of me. So, I'm struggling with the decision. Does my desire to learn more about kayaking win out over my fear of deep water? I don't know, and I'd hate to spend $264 to learn that it doesn't. But, if I don't try, I'll never know, right?

I did a little shopping today and decided to go to one of the local jewelers to find out what size my engagement/wedding rings are and to see what size my finger currently is. The rings are a size 6, and my finger is a 4 1/2 to a 5. So, she suggested a 5 so that when my fingers expand I'll still be able to get them off.

I also went to a store that I pass by a lot and have always wanted to go into. Unfortunately, the experience made me feel like I again weighed 274 lbs. None of the sales people said a word to me, a skirt that I liked had no size tag inside it and the largest size they had in a pair of jeans I liked was a 30 (I assumed this was inches?). So, I left the store not only empty handed but also dejected; not the type of shopping experience I need. Although, I really didn't need to spend any money, so I guess it was good I didn't find anything. But, I was hoping to find something nice for a trip to Philadelphia we're taking next weekend. Oh well!

1 comment:

Kim S. said...

Question for you...are you wanting to take the kayaking class because hubby wants to go kayaking, or because you want to learn how to do it? If it's you that is wanting it, then I say go for it!
Kim