24 February 2006

I am so sore!

I took a Tai Chi class last night with a co-worker. It was an hour and a half long class, and with the exception of the first position we did (which we held for about 10 minutes), it didn't seem that long at all. There weren't any weights or anything other than my own body used for resistance. But, man am I feeling it today! Most of the moves were done in the horse position which is accomplished by spreading the feet just a little over shoulder-width apart, pointing the toes outward about 20 degrees, bending the knees so that the knee caps are directly over the top of the feet and tucking the hips in so that the spine is completely straight. And, despite my thighs not hurting too much during the class, they're completely killing me today! It's not debilitating, but doing normal things like walking down steps, sitting down and bending over are torturous. But it feels good at the same time, you know? And, clearly, it worked muscles that neither the elliptical nor the cord resistance program do. So, I plan to go back next week; it's very cool (even though I pretty much sucked at it).

3 comments:

Kim S. said...

How exciting! There is a group of elderly Asian people that do Tai Chi at the park every morning. I take my dogs there for a run and it is always fascinating to watch them move in such a beautiful way. Isn't it fun that you can try these new methods of exercise now?
Kim

Sandi Hooper said...

Gotta confess, I'm a little envious of you right now. I've wanted to learn Tai Chi forever, but there are no classes within 100 miles of here. I've bought dvds and books to try to learn but I can't figure out all the moves and get all tied up like a pretzel... So do a move or two for me, ok? I'll be thinking of you and how graceful you must look...

Jenn said...

Kim, it is absolutely fabulous! I still feel a bit foolish, but it's nothing like I would have previously felt!

Sandi, if only it were true! Graceful I am not! (I am ususally the one tripping over her own feet!) So, I'm hoping that with time and practice, I'll be perhaps a little more graceful ... but nowhere near that of most people. ;)