30 December 2005

Back on the exercise wagon

I went to my sister's gym with her this morning. We got there right as it opened, so there were thankfully no issues getting an elliptical. (It's at a university, and being that it's the week between Christmas and New Year's, they didn't open until 10am. So, no I'm not _that_ psycho!) I could definitely tell that my body wasn't thrilled it had been almost 3 weeks since I'd done any real exercise, but given that it was the elliptical and that I had The Price Is Right on the TV in front of me, I had absolutely no trouble doing 48 minutes (including a 6 minute cool-down). I don't remember how many strides I did, but it said I'd burned about 325 calories (and that's without entering things like my age & weight). And, it's weird, but I kind of liked having others around me doing the same thing ... the mob mentality, I guess. Maybe I could ask my upstairs neighbor to bring her treadmill down and we could exercise together? ;)

6 comments:

Melissa said...

You go girl. Work it out. A good movie for you and your sis to go to as a treat "Memoirs of a Geisha". I loved it. It was very authentic. Hard tofind good movies now days.

Melissa

Jenn said...

I've actually really been wanting to see that. I read the book a few years ago and really enjoyed it, so I figured with the scenery and the John Williams score I'd really enjoy the movie too!

Holly said...

48 minutes on the elliptical.. you ROCK. i just started and 25 is tough for me. next week i'm working up to 30.

Marla said...

memoirs of a geisha was a brilliant movie I saw it on monday with my family. i am reading the book now.

48 minutes, that is amazing. hope you have a happy new year.

Kim S. said...

48 minutes??? Amazingly impressive. My exercise hat is off to you. I got on that beast today and jumped off after 5 minutes. Five minutes of sheer pain! I can walk/jog for an hour with my dogs...up hill, down hill...but the elliptical clearly is working muscles that I'm not used to exercising! My goal was to get to 15 minutes...thanks for raising the bar!
Happy New Year,
Kim Stover

Jenn said...

Oh, I certainly didn't start out this way. When I first started using the elliptical before surgery, I was barely able to do 15 minutes. But, that was without knowing where my heart rate should have been. I highly recommend finding out what your target heart rate should be and then staying around that; it makes exercise a lot easier to sustain.